This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Monday, April 21, 2008

birds in the meadow

flasher4 flasher1
flasher3 flasher2
Can I get any help in identifying this wing flasher I saw in Rock Meadow yesterday? Mockingbird? Shrike?

The meadow and woods adjacent to my community garden has great wildlife. This weekend I flushed a pair of wood ducks in the woods by the stream. I still haven't seen the noisy ring necked pheasant, but I keep looking. I'd like to check for the nesting bluebirds again today.

garden birds (Hortus Aves)
Belmont Victory Garden

Rock Meadow Conservation Land, Belmont


Blogger incapearl said...

That little lovely is a mockingbird. He has a beautiful song.


April 21, 2008 11:59 AM

Blogger kathy said...


April 21, 2008 8:51 PM

Blogger Peggy said...

I'd say mockingbird also. We have one that stays at my house all winter and comes to my birdbath. It took my a long time to figure out what he was.

April 21, 2008 9:55 PM

Blogger kathy said...

Its that dark area that looks like an eye stripe that confused me. But he certainly has a body and bill shape like a mockingbird. And mockingbirds are known to do wing flashing.

Thanks for the help.

April 21, 2008 11:04 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden