This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

planting peas

planting peas
Today I planted the last of my peas. This is a row of sugar snap peas. I scattered the seeds thickly in a 5 inch wide trough. Then I sprinkled a good amount of inoculant over them. This is the first year I have used inoculant and it is a different method than the inoculant directions recommended (they suggested wetting the peas then coating them with inoculant and then planting them). I found this to be a lot easier. It seemed to work well for my previous seedings of peas this year, which are sprouting well.

Pisum sativum


Anonymous Liz said...

I'm intruiged... What is the dried grass for? A mulch or something else?

April 30, 2007 4:44 AM

Blogger carletongardener said...

Its salt marsh hay. I'm using it as a mulch for several reasons: to retain moisture, to keep the birds from taking dust baths in the dry soil and scattering my pea seeds, to suppress weed growth between the row, and because I like the way it looks.

April 30, 2007 8:58 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden