Wednesday, April 11, 2007

garden series

garden 12 views
These are aerial views of my garden taken one per month, between May 2006 and April 2007.

It makes me notice how short the growing season is: 4 months, July to October. I'd like to have more crops producing in May and November to extend the season.

Note added: I remember that I started my garden planting very late last year because it rained (poured) from about April 15 to May 15. I lost 90% of my beets and onions seedlings because of this. And now this April is very cold.

Another footnote: I started harvesting lettuce at the very end of June and my last harvest (carrots, beets and chard) was Thanksgiving - end of November. I suppose that's five months.

aerial view

7 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great view of a growing year! Can you do cold frames at all to extend the growing season a bit?

kathy said...

A cold frame would be a great addition. I'm looking for some old windows to build one. I hate to buy garden things. I'd love to have a nice cold frame. I should get moving on this project soon.

I'd also like to find some good hoops and garden fabric (time for a trip to a garden center soon, or mail order). And I am using black plastic to warm the soil this year.

Finally, I have collected a number of cold weather vegetable seeds: kale, endive, escarole, beets and carrots.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful series! I can't believe that your growing season was only 4 months long, though. I swear that it seemed like you were harvesting or enjoying something every time I visited last year. :)

kathy said...

Maybe the summer is just more memorable for us gardeners.

Ottawa Gardener said...

I love seeing the enthusiastic growth of veggies! Great series.

Anonymous said...

What lovely pictures - great idea!

kathy said...

Thanks for the compliments. I love watching my garden grow!