Monday, June 13, 2011

flowers in my vegetable garden

flowers 046
flowers 033 flowers 014
flowers 027 flowers 053
flowers 042
flowers 045 flowers 052
flowers 014 flowers 010
flowers 024
flowers 028 flowers 029

A mix of weed, annual and vegetable flowers are decorating my community plot. The blue ones are bachelor buttons (seeds from Botanical Interests) that I planted two years ago. They self-seeded this year and are big beautiful plants already.

The white flowers are bladder campion weeds. There are also marigolds, violas and johnny jump-up's. The potatoes and fava beans are budded and will pop open any day now. Lemon thyme and a pink old rose are in full bloom.

Other flowers are yet to come. I planted nasturtium seeds this week. The sunflower seeds I planted a couple weeks ago are 2 inch sprouts now - on their way up to 15 feet or so. I also have zinnia, cosmos, Canterbury bells, anise hyssop, borage, prairie aster, purple cone flower, trilobia, lavender and day lily plants growing.

11 comments:

Chris said...

Planting marigolds in your vegetable garden not only looks good, but they keep many damaging insects away. Marigolds can also be used as a herb to treat minor skin problems, a very beneficial flower to have in the garden.

Another good plant is basil which repels flies and mosquitoes

Cher' Shots said...

Your garden is looking good. I planted nasturiums, zinnias, cosmos, bachlor buttons and day lilies, etc in a few spots of our garden too. Love the fact that the flowers are helpers!
'hugs from afar'

Nell Jean said...

Mama always said she planted 'food for the soul' as well as what we ate.

shannonseibel said...

Love the pictures of your flowers!

Codrina said...

Wonderful garden,lovely flowers

Yael said...

I love the pictures of your garden. The strawberries look very tempting. Ours(in Northwest-USDA Zone 8a)are barely developing. Every year I have nasturtiums volunteer, and I love them in salads. Mixed greens are some of my favorite vegetables.

Victoria said...

All your flowers look incredible! I particularly love the pansy's/viola's.

Thank you for sharing!!

http://victoriaspatiogarden.blogspot.com/

V said...

My arugula and another green bolted and the flowers are so pretty in the vegetable garden that I'm leaving them alone. Will also be a nice experiment to see if they reseed and give me more! Beautiful photos :)

Alan said...

I really ought to make more of an effort to grow flowers in and around my veggies. I don't suppose the flowers on my courgettes count - I end up eating them! I do grow lavender and have other flowers but they're some distance away from my veggies. Hmm... must follow your lead. Nice photos!

cofidis creditos personales said...

Hiya! I simply wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you’ve right here on this post. I will likely be coming back to your weblog for more soon.

Vicky said...

Your garden is gorgeous! What a wonderful tribute to nature. thanks for sharing the pics.

Vicky
http://www.in-your-garden.com