Thursday, October 15, 2009

garden update

Well, I've been sick in bed with the some kind of bug :~( I guess its that's time of year. The gardens are waiting to be tended. Very chilly temps predicted for tonight, 30*F for Belmont (brrr). My sidebar countdown says the frost is right on schedule. I got all my orchids in this morning. Here's a list of chores I'll do this afternoon:

Pick the last of my green beans, shell beans and cucumbers
Bring in a big bunch of fresh herbs
Pick the mature beans drying on the vines seeds for next year
Bring in the rosemary pots
Cover my small patch of collard greens

And these are jobs for the weekend, when I'm feeling better:
Dig the dahlia tubers
Dig potatoes
Plant garlic
Clean up dead plants, collect and spread manure and compost, top seed with rye

7 comments:

Fiona said...

Can you describe what you'll do with your dahlias? This was my first year with them and I want to A) treat them right and B) get them into a different place for next year.

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Hi, the days seem to have turned "chilly" rather suddenly. Our forecast is for a clear, bright weekend, so like you will do some clearing and prep for the new season. Seed catalogues have arrived exciting, but need to hold myself back and do a stock take of what seed I have. Don't over do the garden/lottie chores and hope you feel better.
Marian(LondonUK)

Daphne Gould said...

I hope you get better soon. My husband was sick all last week and is finally almost over it. I've been lucky so far.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon, my daughter is finally getting over her cold that she's had almost 2 weeks. Good luck with the garlic!!!! Exciting.
~felicia~

Lisa said...

Kathy,
Hope you feel better soon - both of us have been struggling with flu and bronchitis in our (much warmer) climate.

I'm anxiously awaiting my garlic, although I've pretty much covered up many of my beds to overwinter, except for the kale, collards, and arugula (and late lettuce beds). I'm not being too ambitious this winter.

Best,
Lisa

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. That sounds like a list for someone who has some energy. Don't overdo it. My list is having to wait for my knee and ankle to heal, as I fell a few weeks ago.

kathy said...

Thanks all. I was out in the garden yesterday and it helped my spirits.