This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

bagged apples

bagged apples 112

I looked around for some information on bagging my apples and pears. Here's an informative thread: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0400030418546.html. It seems that plastic Ziploc bags are the way to go. Zip the baggie over the stem of apples about 3/4 inches in diameter and cut off the lowest corner of the bag so any water that gets in will drain.

I have 24 apples bagged now. Will do my 5 pears soon.

bagged apples 121

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Barefeet In The Kitchen said...

Good to know. Of course, I'll have to save that information for a much later date when my sad little fruit trees are actually producing fruit. ha ha. YAY for yours this year!!

June 19, 2011 12:46 PM

 
Blogger Mark (the Brush Valley Brewer) said...

Can you post pictures? I've never really understood this.

June 19, 2011 1:00 PM

 
Anonymous mediaOrganic said...

Great idea! I look forward to future reports on how it works out. I just planted three fruit tree whips this year so I'll have to tuck this one away for the future as well.

June 20, 2011 7:31 AM

 
Anonymous McArtor said...

The bags are a great idea. Will share it with my neighbor who's sharing his nectarines with the birds.

June 21, 2011 5:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My question is i want to install artifical grass in my garden and the people of www.jardineriamarve.net talk me about a last generation of artificial grass with good price, but im not convinced about that, therefore I would like to know your opinion about artificial grass? is better than the natural grass?

June 30, 2011 7:11 AM

 
Blogger Steve Lau said...

Wow, I never thought of that idea before. Thanks for the post.

December 30, 2011 2:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden