Monday, June 06, 2011

baby birds and rabbits

robin 162

My backyard has squeaking and peeping sounds all the time now! There are chicks in the sparrow and wren houses. And a hungry fledgeling robin is often in the yard.

I'm working now on my back patio and a fledgeling robin just landed in the chair next to me. Very sweet.

The wrens are bringing food to their house, so maybe they have chicks that have just hatched.

And I got out a ladder this afternoon and took a peek into the cardinal nest. She has one speckled egg in there. I figure this is about day 11 of incubation, so the egg should hatch very soon. That will be exciting since that nest is so close to the patio.

rabbit 114

I also came across a couple baby bunnies today. They were in my garden nibbling on the violets and dill. After I took a few photos of them, I mentioned it to Skippy and he ran out to check on them. That got rid of them.... but not before they ate all of my kale!

rabbit-eaten kale 150

7 comments:

Roberta said...

I think the robin photo is my favorite. It's so pretty and really, a very nice photo. Have fun in the garden!

Alan said...

I've just had to keep my cats indoors for 3 days as there's a blackbird fledging very slowly in my garden. Cats are going wild!

Yesterday, found Dylan (my big fat cat!) sat on a pigeon's nest (after scaring away the pigeon!) AND there was an egg underneath him!

Wish I'd got a photo of it - priceless!

Alan

Jody said...

So sorry about the kale; would you consider a soup with ingredients that include both kale and rabbit? I know they will both freeze nicely 'till winter.

Karen Anne said...

I have baby grackles. My deck at the feeders sounds like a collection of rusty hinges.

Single Gal said...

Isn't the neatest thing how new things come out in spring.

:D

MUDNYC said...

Those bunnies are lucky they are so cute.

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Hi there, I look forward to the Gnome's appearance as Gardener-in-chief! We have a baby robin feeding outside our workshop, so cute. Missed being able to keep up with your journal our computer had decided it needed to retire!
Marian(LondonUK)