This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

apple tree

aerial 099

This is the back of my side yard - behind the vegetable garden. Center view is my little Fugi apple tree. This year is has at least a dozen apples!!! More than ever before. :)) We trimmed a big branch off off the maple tree in the backyard and I guess the apple appreciated it.

I like to cover the young apples to keep away bugs and squirrels. I've used stockings in the past, but don't have enough old stockings for such a big crop. I'm looking into other options. Any suggestions??

Same question for my pear tree at my community plot. It has a dozen or more pears forming. I'd like to cover them soon.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jess in TO said...

I think you could use the same material they use to make floating row covers, except that doesn't have the nice using-something-recycled bonus.

June 16, 2011 8:13 PM

 
Anonymous cathy c. said...

Hi, just found your blog and am enjoying... need to read back a way. Thrift stores often sell stockings very cheap and/or toss them. Ask your local goodwill to put some aside for you. Best of luck! - We planted our first apple tree this year. I guess I should start saving my nylons! Thanks for the great blog.

June 16, 2011 9:19 PM

 
Blogger Karla said...

If you get desperate I was reading about using ziploc bags... the trouble is that they can hold moisture and cause rot but maybe could be used temporarily. Fabric is a better fruit protector, maybe hit a dollar store for some cheap hose?

June 16, 2011 9:49 PM

 
Anonymous taylor said...

Maybe you could use something like cheesecloth or a fine netting? You can usually find cheesecloth at the grocery store or you could swing by a Joann's or something...

June 17, 2011 9:08 AM

 
Anonymous Diane said...

Another common thrift shop item is old curtains. Maybe a nylon net or very worn cotton would work.

June 17, 2011 9:37 AM

 
Blogger Martin and Amy said...

I hope they all make it!

Fingers crossed..

Martin :-)

June 17, 2011 12:16 PM

 
Anonymous heirloom seeds said...

I grow about two dozen different heirloom tomatoes in my garden. Great information! Enjoyed the pictures.

July 13, 2011 5:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden