Friday, January 29, 2010

orange Jarrahdale pumpkin

orange jarrahdale pumpkin

I grew this pumpkin in my community garden plot this summer. It was a beautiful shade of mottled green-blue-gray when I picked it (photo). I ended up with three 6-10 lb Jarrahdale's from two plants. One I made into fantastic pumpkin soup and pumpkin bread at Thanksgiving time. The other I gave to my brother and he did the same. This is the third. Its now on my dining room table and has ripen to bright yellow-orange. I'm thinking about baking with it soon (tomorrow).

Jarrahdale's have very thick, flavorful, and bright orange flesh. It will be enough to make several recipes. I love pumpkin bread, so I'll definitely make this. Any suggestions for other pumpkin recipes?

Here's the pumpkin soup recipe:

PUMPKIN GINGER SOUP TOPPED WITH SOUR CREAM AND CONDIMENTS
adapted from Marci Arthur

1 Cooking Pumpkin, about 2 lbs. Cut into quarters, seeded and peeled
3 tablespoons butter
2 large leeks, including 1-inch pale leaves, cut into ½-inch thick slices
6 cups chicken stock
2-1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced to make 1 tablespoons
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Condiments
½ cup sour cream or creme fraiche
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Steam pumpkin til tender - about 15 minutes. Scoop pumpkin flesh into balls and set aside. (OR you can bake in foil for 1 hour, cool and then scoop out flesh. OR, if you are strong and want to use the shell to serve the soup, scoop out raw flesh.)

In soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add all but 2 of the leek slices and sauté for two to three minutes, or until nearly translucent. Add broth, minced ginger, salt and pepper and pumpkin balls. Bring just below a boil, reduce heat.
Simmer until pumpkin is very tender, about 10 minutes. Puree.

To serve, ladle hot soup into bowls, garnish with spoonful of sour cream, cilantro and leek slices as desired.

14 comments:

Dan said...

The pumpkin looks like it has keeped really well. I still have a couple of those delicata left from the seed you sent. I have been thinking of pumpkin muffins but your soup sounds good too.

kathy said...

I Jarrahdale and Baby Pam pumpkins left. Also butternut squash and one delicata. The soup is really good.

Dan said...

I think I will try the soup recipe, I see they have the book at the library. Had so many sweets lately a savory soup might stop me from going into diabetic shock :-)

I took the moon picture with a 70-300mm lens at 300mm with a tripod. I have had troubles taking moon pictures before. Being on the second floor seemed to be much better then ones I have taken outside on the ground.

No rush on the celeriac, when ever you have time. I am happy just passing along the crimson broad beans, such an interesting variety.

Anonymous said...

The pumpkin looks terrific. You had good luck with them given the weather last summer. As for recipes, I have two that set me to drooling at the thought of them. Chile Cheddar Pumpkin Souffles, http://yankeepantry.wordpress.com/2006/11/22/shrimp-tortilla-soup/
and Squash Enchiladas http://yankeepantry.wordpress.com/2007/01/27/butternut-squash-enchiladas-with-corn/

Enjoy the pumpkin!

kathy said...

Enchiladas sound great!

I added my pumpkin soup recipe to the post.

Kyna said...

That recipe looks great! So does the pumpkin :

This one has cans of cooked pumpkin puree, but I'm sure you could just add your own. :) I tried it out on my husband, and he loved it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/pumpkin-soup-with-chili-cran-apple-relish-recipe/index.html

Andrea said...

I have to say and you can laugh if you want, but I didn't know that the jarrahdale pumpkins turned orange. I have seeds for this and didn't grow pumpkins last year, so I will try them this year.

Rooster Shamblin said...

http://roostershamblin.wordpress.com/ would you please spend a few minutes and check out my blog. I am a farmer who has been raising over fifty breeds of chickens for forty years.

kathy said...

Andrea, I didn't know this either. I was really surprised.

Silli said...

That soup sounds amazing- nothing like fresh ginger and cilantro on a cold winter's day.
Lately I've been making the "pumpkin casserole" from allrecipes- reducing the sugar by about half. It's essentially a crustless pumpkin pie and very flavorful.

Jennifer Swanton Brown said...

My favorite pumpkin yum are the Low Fat Pumpkin Ginger muffins from Peet's coffee. Since you're so "famous" do you think they'd be willing to share their recipe with you? (I guess I could try asking them myself...) They do have Peet's coffed in MA, don't they?

SoCal veggie lover said...

Wow! Is really all I could say. This jarradalle pumpkin soup recipe was awesome. The sour cream and cilantro give it a nice kick! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

SoCal veggie lover said...

Used a jarradalle pumpkin I picked up at the pumpkin patch. The soup recipe u have posted is awesome. Will make it again.

kathy said...

Thanks for reminding me about this recipe. It would be fun to make it again for Thanksgiving. I bet it would be good with either the orange kabocha or butternut squashes I have. I will be having a big crowd to feed, 15 of us, for our first Thanksgiving in our new house.