This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

melted snow on the south slopes

old road on the south slope

After a couple inches of rain yesterday, we have wonderful stretches of BARE GROUND! And lots of slush and mud. I know its just a spring teaser and we'll have more snow and cold, but its nice.

A friend asked today if I've planted any seeds yet. No, none yet. But it won't be long now. My plan was to get going mid Feb, but I think I'll start sooner this year. Maybe next week. For now, I just have the sweet potatoes - I'm gradually collecting a few more of different varieties from the supermarket and hoping a few will sprout.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
The Greenfield farmer's market is a great little place to visit! I have a sibling in Greenfield, and we meet up a lot to go there during the summer months, I didn't realize they had the market still going on! I will have to find out if my sister was aware of this. Enjoy your (hopeful) weekend country side drive.
~Felicia~

January 27, 2010 1:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,
I got almost all of my seeds planted and I've got tons of sprouts :-) In Southern California it is not too early to plant seedlings. You might remember you gave me some advice on starting seeds and links to previous blog posts. I ended up getting heat mats and they've made a difference, I think. Things are a bit of a mess still, but, the important thing is that I got everything started. Now it is onwards to finish the trellises and preparing the raised beds ...

I am planning to give away any seedlings that I don't plant. I don't have the heart to thin them out :-)

I read your blog on sweet potatos. I've been thinking of starting some too. So, I should just go to the store and get some? I've read about how to start seedlings. I just didn't know I could get brands from the store.

Chris

p.s. Do you have any comments on growing potatos?

January 27, 2010 4:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden