Friday, October 16, 2009

my plot

plot 1
my greens my escarole
someone else's lettuce my lettuce
plot 4 plot 3

A drab gray sky. A fading garden. Beds are emptying and compost bin is filling. But don't the last few greens look nice. I added a photo of lettuce from someone else's plot where the lettuce is still well weeded and evenly spaced. Mine has degraded to unthinned and unweeded rows (but still looks good - I think).

These photos are from Thursday. Everyday now I wonder whether vegetables will be there when I return to the plot. No sense in using row cover if I don't go evening (to put it on) and morning (to remove it). We had a good amount of snow Friday morning early that melted quickly on the ground. I hope my greens are still there tomorrow as they would make a nice salad.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Snow already, yikes. We had a bit of slushy rain Thursday, it wasn't a welcome sight. Looks like winter is going to come early this year.

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Your Greens/Lettuce look great, we are still enjoying cabbages, picked a few first early variety Sprouts, Whitefly has been incredible this year two plants had to be binned which is a shame. Have planted some lettuce that says it can be over-wintered under protection. Our over-wintering cauliflowers and cabbaes are growing fast it seems, perhaps they do this and then slow down as it gets colder; anyone know?
Snow already, funny enough my sister and I sat and had our tea outside the workshop the other morning, it was grey and cold, she said "if it was any colder that sky would snow". We rarely get snow before Christmas, but hey who knows these days!!
Marian(LondonUK)