This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

more photos of the belmont victory garden seed swap

setting up seed swap seed swap seeds from BI
seed swap
seed swap 2 seed swap view of gardens
skippy at seed swap
farmer Gretta BI seeds

- Thanks to Botanical Interests for providing fantastic seeds for the gardeners. These were definitely a hit.
- Things gardeners brought and swapped included bean and carrot seeds, and raspberry divisions.
- The swappers toured the garden paths in the drizzle - an area of over 1 acre with about 120 active plots.
- We ate 2 loaves of my pumpkin bread.

The topic of discussion was - gardening. This included:
- Gretta had lots of Late Blight advice. I'll put this in a separate post.
- Improving local food availability: Gretta would like to see a local grain and dried bean CSA and is looking for land. In our area, we now have a number of vegetable and meat farms, but no grains are local. This would require not only land and farmers, but a mill.
- How to improve communication at the community garden. We haven't been very successful with our Yahoo b-board. We're thinking of trying a blog/Facebook format. Plus a Scout will soon construct a non-virtual bulletin board for us.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Finch said...

Not true, not true! We have a grain and bean CSA now! It's out of Amherst! We signed up for a half a share this year, and are getting 75 lbs of grains and beans soon - we'll be so inundated - at least they keep better than greens!

http://localgrain.org/csa.html

I'm desperate for a honey csa though - if you can pass on the word, we'll be the first to sign up if they bring one to Belmont!

October 04, 2009 10:10 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Great! I will look into this too. Though Amherst is not really local.

October 04, 2009 10:33 PM

 
Blogger Mrs. Finch said...

Considering it's the only grain grown in new england on any scale in decades - and it's within 100 miles - I consider it pretty local - I'm thrilled! We might have to get the mill attachment for the mixer! :)

October 04, 2009 10:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden