Sunday, October 11, 2009

how to make popcorn

Copy of IMG_2617
Copy of IMG_2613 Copy of IMG_2622
Copy of IMG_2628 Copy of IMG_2629

how to make popcorn...

Plant seeds in the spring when the ground is warm. Pick the ears when silks are very dry. Pull back husks and let the kernels dry. Test kernels. When they pop well, share them. Remove kernels by pushing them off the cob with your thumb, starting at tip. Put about 1/2 cup of kernels in a big pot with cover. Add a bit of oil. Heat on high, shaking constantly 'til popped. Add melted butter.

My niece and nephew had a lot of fun with this. We adults had to work hard to get a handful of the popped kernels. They went fast and were yummy. Skippy made out pretty good with the ones that ended up on the floor.

© Skippy's Vegetable Garden

13 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

It's like you are Martha Stewart!! :~)

nxforget said...

Hi,

Found your blog through google search. Very impressive work indeed, in the garden and the writings.

I envy the looks of your garden, through the photos posted in flikr. Wish I could have achieved even half of that.

Thank you so much for sharing. It been very informative.

Karen Anne said...

Crimney :-) When I clicked on Comments, a popup for
http://www.ourstage.com/home
cameup.

I looked on the web, and I can't find anything useful about this... Maybe my pc is infected somehow, but it only happens on this blog.

Master's Cottage Gardener said...

Excellent stuff, popcorn. And you're right - the ones we grow at home dont taste like microwaved styrofoam.

happileah said...

Yum!! This will be great for the kid's garden next year.

Anonymous said...

We too are thinking about growing our own popcorn next year. we cant stand the microwave kind so we buy the kernels and pop them in a pan. it would just be so fun to grow our own! The kids look like they are really chowing!!! Who wouldn't though!

~Felicia~

kathy said...

Sorry again Karen Anne, I'm not getting other complaints about pop-ups. I don't know what to tell you. Please let me know if you find the source.

kathy said...

My 17 yr old son looked at the amount of popcorn I have left yesterday, paused, asked if that's all we had left ("yes"), then asked me to grow more next year.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....you may need to double your amount of popcorn next year....if it's going that quick!

~Felicia~

kathy said...

Yes. We'll try to double it. Don;t know if I have room.

kathy said...

KarenAnne, I just got a content relevant pop up by clicking on this perma post link. Maybe Blogger's doing it?

kathy said...

Me and Ma'tha go way back....

Marian(LondonUK) said...

I have found some corn seeds in a catalogue for "Pop Corn" so will try next year, looks like fun. Ha Ha the Martha reference made be giggle. What a woman! I had seen her books when visiting the States but then I saw her t.v. programme; it was brilliant she was teaching people how to fold towels correctly!!
Needless to say I was enlightened.
Marian(LondonUK)