Tuesday, October 27, 2009

what's growing at community gardens? lots of fall vegetables

cambridge community garden bok choy 3
Neville Place Community Gardens (Cambridge MA) and baby bok choy
brussels sprouts
Brussels sprouts
bok choy 2 bok choy
bok choy
beets leek
beets, leek
chard, white chard, red
white and red Swiss chard
lettuce and bok choy
rows of lettuce, baby bok choy and chard
shell beans turnip
shell beans, turnip
winterbor kale purple broccoli
winterbor kale, purple broccoli
tuscan kale
Tuscan kale

I went by a couple local community gardens yesterday to see what's growing. Waltham Fields and Cambridge Neville Place community gardens. Both have wonderful things still. It gives me ideas on what I can plant for late fall next year. The Brussels sprouts are very pretty. And the Tuscan kale. The big purple head of broccoli is fantastic!

In my garden, I have escarole, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, and a row of mixed greens that includes kale and bok choy. I also have the celeriac and parsnips still in the ground. Also lots of parsley and some tiny collard greens. The weather has been perfect for these recently and they're growing well.

WFC gardens
Waltham Fields Community Gardens

12 comments:

Matron said...

What a wonderful selection of Autumn vegetables! I feel a home made soup coming on....

abb said...

The entire post's photos are just wonderful! And looks NOTHING like our community garden!

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Those trees are magnificent! Keep meaning to ask what "Collards" are.
We had our first Brussels last week, they were much sweeter than shop bought ones. The whitefly has been dreadful. Have some in the garden which haven't falling victim to the fly they should be ready for Christmas dinner.
Marian(LondonUK)

Liisa said...

That leek is gargantuan! I have serious leek envy...

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

How wonderful with all those veggies, what a great picture of the community garden. I just love the ochre coloured trees.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous (as always) photos. I LOVE that purple broccoli, I so want seeds for that to join the panoply of purple vegetables I'm planning for next year.

Anonymous said...

Wow! this post is also on Gardening Realm. so how's the formal complaint doing?

Anonymous said...

Kathy - Here in the desert, I really appreciate your pretty fall pictures.
- Daisy

kathy said...

I bet they appreciate the traffic they are getting. We'll see what happens with the complaints.

Dan said...

What a great tour, thanks for sharing. All the various veggies look so healthy. Your ending photo is very nice, frame worthy.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... and to think, my garden has been over for quite a while now!!! Your pics have definately given me some great ideas for gardening next year to keep the garden going longer!!!! Thanks for sharing your findings.

~Felicia~

Anonymous said...

Nice job and keep it up, because your selection of winter vegetable is really good!
Vegetable Growing Advice