Thursday, March 30, 2017

sunning seedlings

IMG_0511

The first of my seedlings are out sunning now. Onions, shallots, leeks mostly. Also spinach, beets, cabbage, and endive.

We have a beautiful sunny day today. It's 43F now and going up to 50. Tomorrow, the last day of March, we are bracing for a winter storm. It doesn't seem right. But it's not the first time we've had crazy weather. I'll be out with my seedlings, pruning, raking, and maybe even planting my peas.

I've been doing a lot of planting recently. It's all listed on my 2017 planting list.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How do you manage all these seedlings next?
l

kathy said...

These two trays will have to stay outside or on my kitchen windowsill for now on - until they get planted in the garden - since my plant shelves are full.

I have a covered tunnel on the garden with plants I've over-wintered and I may plant these seedlings into it soon to stay for a month or so. Then they can get transplanted again - or for the spinach and arugula - they can go into our salad.

The onions are split between 3 gardens, my mom, her friend, and my garden. They're doing unusually well this year so it will be good to get them out into the garden with cold protection when needed soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy!

I have a vague memory of you once saying that you plant your beet transplants in bunches of two or three, and that the roots will just push away from each other and develop just fine. Is that still the case, or am I misremembering?

kathy said...

Yup, that's what I do. Clusters of two, three, sometimes four. No need to tease apart the baby roots and risk damaging them if they're close in the pot. The roots push apart as they grow.

I learned that from a local CSA farmer who planted lots of beets.

Anonymous said...

Would it be easy to plant the vegetable in the backyard or should we go for Gardening North Side ? I was looking forward to do gardening. Any advice will be really helpful.