Friday, March 17, 2017

a beautiful day

spring clearing IMG_6686 spring clearing  IMG_6691
spring clearing  IMG_6689 spring clearing  IMG_6687

The sun was warm and I was working with my dogs right next to my garden today. Pretty good. I'm not quite working inside the garden yet - but seems like that may be soon.

I cleared overgrown briars just behind my garden fence. Huge prickly multiflora rose and wild raspberry canes. The area is about a 15 foot piece of land between my fence and a little brook. Long ago, I can see a gardener planted ornamental plants there, but the yard has had 10 years or so of neglect. Last year I cut down many thick bittersweet vines. Today with the briars gone too, I uncovered some pretty azaleas. Lots of forsythia. I look forward to see what grows up in the spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here on the northwest Washington coast we have had such unstable weather, cold, constant rain and wind that work outside has been all but impossible. My garden is so far behind when I look at my garden journal from the past several years. I have even delayed starting some of my seeds because there is no hope of getting them in the ground when I normally do. We are supposed to have a little break tomorrow just overcast, no sun tho, then more rain predicted for Monday... but the ground is so saturated that work tomorrow will be limited to clean up and maybe some pruning.

kathy said...

Our weather also has been very unstable this winter. But at least the bad weather has alternated with unusually good. I'm worried my fruit and magnolia trees will bloom too soon again like last year, only to be hit by a frost. We've gone from daytime high of 60F to 20F in the span of a week. We've had snow cover for a month then bare ground for a month.

Our sunlight is beautiful now as we near the equinox and I'm so ready for outdoor garden work that I'm trampling our 3-5 inch snow cover to do what I can.

I hope your weather on the NW coast returns to a spring pattern soon so you can begin you gardening.

Anonymous said...

It looks as though you didn't get much snow from this last blizzard? The suburbs of Albany, NY got almost 2 feet!