Sunday, March 02, 2014

a weekend to play outside

chickens 025 chickens 027 chickens 036 chickens 029 chickens 046

My chickens got to fly the coop this weekend. We had some nice sunshine melting the snow. The girls foraged, scratched, flapped, and shook their booties. (I watched from my chair with my coffee).

After half an hour wandering the thawed areas of the lawn, all three followed Penny back into the coop and hung out with her while she laid an egg. I peeked in through the window and was amazed to see her carefully poke the golf balls under she feathers.

chickens 061 chickens 066 Two golf balls were in the nest box when she sat down, a brown egg too when she got up.

chickens 130

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The girls have become three beautiful ladies!

Connie said...

I like how they all went in together for the egg-laying. Very cute.

Lara said...

I'm trying the golf balls! Your warmth looks heavenly. I can't believe it will get into the high 30's and maybe even 40 in the next few days where I am. Time to sit outside for sure.

Lara

kathy said...

Our one day at 52 officially was so nice! No sign of another on the forecast... Oh well.

kathy said...

Oops. I deleted the wrong post. Someone asked if I take the eggs away right away. Answer: yes. As soon as I can. I check twice a day. Usually noon and 5 pm. In this weather they freeze and crack if they are out there too long. I have lost 2 eggs to freezing/cracking so far.

In the summer, I will still remove ASAP as I don't want to attract raccoons or other wildlife with he smell of fresh eggs. The girls still have their golf balls....

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful!