Saturday, May 11, 2013

working on my community garden plot

spring garden plot 012 spring garden plot 015 spring garden plot 019 I would have taken "before" photos of my plot, but I was overwhelmed looking at it this morning. I knew how late I was getting it in shape and how much should be done. After accomplishing a day's work, I'm now enjoying the "after" photos.

It was a drizzly day. I weeded, transplanted rogue strawberry plants, moved salt marsh hay from beds to paths, set up a tomato pole, screened compost and turned it in under a couple beds, top-dressed my asparagus bed, transplanted onion seedlings and dahlias tubers. I didn't get to everything: lettuce and cabbage seedlings need to go in and more compost is needed, but its a good start.

During my work, I saw two male rose-breasted gross beaks flitting around, and a couple male Baltimore orioles. Bight flashes of color over the garden plots. I suppose they were vying for prime territories before the females arrive.

Skippy rested on the salt hay in the garden paths while I worked. At dusk, he got a nice walk to the swimming hole. Now its time for a good nights' rest.

skippy and wheelbarrow 021

4 comments:

Donald said...

Great Photo`s Kathy i enjoy your work from Donald

Lea said...

You got a lot of work done! Looking good!
Have a wonderful day!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Bet you and Skippy had a good nights sleep after all that work and air! It's a slow start this year at the Lottie, we only dared to sow some root seeds directly last week after a few beautiful sunny days had warmed the soil. It has been so windy here the past few days and gales forecasted for tomorrow. I planted some brassica seedlings at the weekend, I will have to go tonight and secure them under pegged down plastic tunnels or their leaves may twist off in the wind!
Marian (LondonUK)

Anonymous said...

Your garden always looks so good! I just love vegetable gardens, one of these days I'm going to spend a summer photographing as many as I can and make myself a calendar or something.