Thursday, August 27, 2009

harvests

tomatoes in a bowl harvest
A couple photos of my harvest. At right, newly picked from my community plot. At the left, my collected tomatoes waiting to be eaten.

Finally tomatoes today from my blight stricken community plot. Seems like the blight may be dissipating? Tomatoes actually ripening without rotting. I picked a few Opalkas and a nice Purple Calabash. I'm pleased. Time for T-sauce soon.

Someone asked me if any of my tomato varieties have late blight resistance. Of 11 varieties planted, Purple Calabash, Opalka and Box Car Willie survived the blight and are producing. Maybe these have a bit of resistance - probably just luck.

And, I picked first ripe pumpkin of the year - a tiny Baby Pam. Its supposed to be a great tasting pie pumpkin. I'm looking forward to baking with it.

Two tiny red chiles too. Thai Hots. And a fat carrot - Oxheart.

9 comments:

vuejardin said...

Very cute tiny Baby Pam and a great shot of skippy. I missed my Baby Jack pumpkin, may be next year...

Anonymous said...

Skippy looks like the best kind of boss to have!

Just a note on blight and tomatoes:
we garden in Florida and have used a unique copper sulphate product from Envirogreen Solutions that really does the job. It stays active for days where other sprays do not. Do not know if it is available for home use--is used by some commercial citrus growers.

Now I'm off to read about your garlic

Dan said...

Great harvests! I have a few more purple calabash that will be ready very soon and more purple cherokee. Those are the only two slicing tomatoes that are turning color, I'm getting impatient! :-)

Sunita Mohan said...

That's a really colourful harvest! We dont get so many varieties of tomato here in Mumbai. Its just plain tomato ... and tomato.

PJ said...

Wow what a beautiful harvest of tomatoes (and more). I know that blight wreaked havoc but it seems with your skills some of the tomatoes have come to fruition. I hope they are as enjoyable to eat as they are on the eye!!

Daphne Gould said...

Beautiful harvest. I love all the different tomatoes. I grew a lot of different colors this year and the harvest looked so pretty. Next year I might not have quite the variety though. I think the color yellow might not be in my future, but gold will still be there so that is close.

Lisa A. said...

Is that a carrot in there? It's huge!

Kelly said...

Those tomatoes are almost too pretty to eat! Great harvest.

Unknown said...

Wow those a re some good looking tomatoes =)