Sunday, January 21, 2007

planting dates

I've been wishing it were warm enough to garden, or at least to go for a comfortable walk outside. But since it isn't, I've been reviewing my gardening records to see what are good dates for planting crops that need repeat seeding (every 2 weeks). I figure it'll probably be a warmer than usual gardening season, so I'll extend the dates a bit more than usual. I think I'll go by these dates this year:

Lettuce, cool weather types: April 15 through May 15, Sept 1 through Sept 20
Lettuce, warm weather types: May 31 through Aug 15
Bush beans: May 10 through July 31
Pole beans: May 10 through July 31
Soybeans: May 10 through June 20

S&P

2 comments:

Marc said...

You constantly amaze me on how well thought out your garden is. You get so much out of a relatively small space. I am trying to learn more intensive gardening techniques and how to extend the season like you do by reading Elliot Coleman's "Four Season Harvest". If you haven't read it, you would really like it. You do many of the things recommended in it. Where I live people just put out rows and rows of vegetables over an acre or two! I think you get more and better vegetables than they do!

I have been enjoying looking over your past posts and have linked to you from my blog. I look forward to seeing what you and Skippy do this spring. Keep up the great work!

kathy said...

Thanks! I'll check out that book.