Sunday, December 17, 2006

lettuce and endives

escarole endive escarole 5 oak leaf lettuce I was surprised to find my little lettuce patch still growing. I don't go out to the garden very often these days. I had stopped covering the patch in early December because everything was freezing pretty solid, even with the covering. I didn't realize that these plants would survive. Not really very many plants - probably not enough for a single salad serving - but I think they are photogenic and a good crop to consider expanding for next year. Still growing are (clockwise from top left): purple-spotted escarole, curly endive, oak leaf lettuce and plain escarole.

Lactuca sativa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos. My lettuce is doing well right now despite our unusually warm temperatures for this year. I'm glad I remembered to plant some this fall. I haven't been taking advantage of winter vegetables as much as I should.

Unknown said...

Wow! What a nice surprise. :)