Wednesday, October 13, 2010

my community plot

plot 6
plot 1

We got a lot of work done on Sunday in my community garden plot. My son helped me, for a fee. We had fun conversation and accomplished a lot.

First, we pulled the last of the corn stalks and giant sunflowers. I put the sunflower heads on the fence for the birds to finish. They were mostly empty, but had a few seeds left. We pulled the old basil, eggplant, squash and pepper plants. I picked a nice batch of cayenne peppers to dry for winter.

Then we moved the rhubarb plant to make room for a new compost bin. My single bin isn't big enough. I'd like two bins. My son constructed a new compost bin from fencing wire in the back left corner of the garden. Eventually, I will move the old compost bin out of the right corner so it is adjacent to the new one. This will allow me to expand the asparagus bed by a few feet.

Next we cut up the corn and sunflower stalks and pretty much filed the new compost bin with these. We cleaned up and racked three beds.

Last, as the sun was setting, I scattered seeds for cover crops of clover and winter rye. Garden work is a great way to catch up with my teenager, though I may go broke in the process.

6 comments:

meemsnyc said...

It's nice to spend some quality time with your son, even if it's for a fee. :) He's your "landscaper".

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Hi Kathy, your plot looks lovely. We too have begun clearing and are leaving the still bright Calendulas;Nasturtiums;Dahlias and Zinnia flowers that are managing to survive the cooler nights. At last we had potatoes, as I served them for dinner I couldn't help but give them a little fanfare! Perhaps your son will get the bug of soil in his hands!
Marian (London UK)

kathy said...

Wouldn't it be great if my son caught the garden bug! It doesn't seem likely. How can dirt and vegetables compete with computer games and earning big $? But at least he will know where his food comes from and maybe when he's old, he will find he enjoys puttering around in a garden.

Marion, I'm glad to hear you gave your potatoes the fanfare they rightly deserve!

mothers day flower said...

I wouldn't mind paying my son to help me setup my garden, but he's so busy with his friends and work. You're still lucky that your son accepted your offer.

kathy said...

Lucky for now...

Joanna said...

It's amazing to have kids who got same interest as their parents, isn't that lovely?