This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

last chile harvest

last harvest of chiles



Anonymous Marian(LondonUK) said...

Looks good. Last harvests are sad - We had our last climbing french bean harvest last weekend and some sweetcorn which I thought would come to nothing. But it persevered and gave us 6 cobs each, glad as I feared there would be none. It was scoffed very quickly, raw on the way home in the car, then in a haddock and corn chowder, delish.
Marian (London UK)

October 14, 2010 2:06 PM

Blogger TYRA said...

It look awfully good Kathy! I still have some left in my greenhouse. Well it is a bit sad but the growing season of 2010 is almost over.


October 14, 2010 3:13 PM

Blogger meemsnyc said...

Those look great! Until next year!

October 14, 2010 5:39 PM

Blogger kathy said...

Marian - that sounds delicious!

I'm going to put the red chiles on my ristra, but I'm wondering if I can add the green onea to a ristra. Does anyone know if the green ones dry?

October 14, 2010 10:06 PM

Blogger Matron said...

Yes, everything here is coming indoors too -we are expecting a frost any day now. That's a fine bowl of chillis you have there. I string mine up with a needle and thread and dry them for Christmas decorations.

October 17, 2010 1:26 PM

Anonymous Diane said...

I'm not sure how the green chilies will look when dried but they should be usable. I had a string of very old and dusty dried chilies that I was about to discard when I checked on cures for unidentified pests chewing on my baby bush beans. The solution was a chili decoction with soap. It worked beautifully so I kept the spray bottle in my refrigerator for the season. I guess I'm saying it's worth drying the chilies even if they have no culinary purpose.

October 17, 2010 7:09 PM

Blogger kathy said...

I think I will put the green ones in the oven on low for a little while as I'm not sure they will dry. Some of the websites I've looked at say the green ones are too immature to use. I'll experiment with a couple in the oven.

I also heard that a chile and oil and soap mix is good for pests. No pests left in my garden, so I'd rather eat my chiles.

October 18, 2010 12:59 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden