Saturday, March 27, 2010

cold frame

frame 004
frame 014 frame 002

My cold frame (planted with cold weather greens) is getting 10-20*F above outside temperature on sunny days, but falls to outside temperature without sun.

Last night was very chilly - 29*. We covered it with a plastic tarp that covers up some of the open hinges where air can flow in and gives it an extra layer of insulation. At 30* outside right now, its 46* inside! The plants look cozy.

I read that a cold frame is a good place for hardening off seedlings. I'll give this a try later for my tomatoes and other warm weather seedlings. Still too cold out there for them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This year I will be using reinforcement wire for pea trellis, and also for cucumber trellis later. Do you have any experience with it?

Unknown said...

I'm trying my own form of coldframe which I call a tenthouse. Its a tent of clear plastic vinyl over 1x2's. It gets pretty warm inside in the sunshine but in the evening I put heavy row cover over the rows to maintain above freezing temps.
I like your coldframe but am not able to make one myself, hence my tenthouse.
my blog is:
http://quiltbeagardens.blogspot.com if you want to see it.

I enjoy keeping track of your efforts. Good job.
quiltbea

kathy said...

Tent house sounds great. I am lucky to have a woodworker partner. I bet the tent will work well.

I am also looking for reinforcement wire. Have never used it before. I hear Home Depot has this. I have seen gardeners using it and it is very nice looking, sturdy and lasts well. I'd like to use it for my vines this year. Cukes, melons, peas, beans...

Kelly said...

Kathy, I picked some up last year at Lowe's, but have yet to put it to use out in the garden. Those 2 and 2.5 feet peas are tough since they don't quite need a trellis, yet will flop about with nothing around them.

Anna Anderson said...

Just out of interest, are your temperatures in Celsius or Fahrenheit? minus 29C is different from minus29F, though I would have to run them through a calculator to figure out what the temp was in Celsius. Either way, I reckon its been cold at your place! check out my happenings at www.gardeningincromwell.blogspot.com

kathy said...

Oops. That's not a minus sign - its a hyphen. Not a good place to use a hyphen. The temp was 29*F!