This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

at last - its tomato season!

gnome with tomatoes tomatoes in my hand
Copy of sungold tomatoes
tomatoes gnome and tomatoes

I have lots of Sungold cherry tomatoes now (from two plants), and a few ripe New Girl and Orange Blossoms too. Big Beef are ripening fast. The heirlooms are sizing up: Brandywine Sudduth strain, Giant Belgium, Purple Calabash, Box Car Willie, and Mortgage Lifter.

Tomato varieties I've lost to Late Blight so far are: Pink Beauty, Cherokee Purple, Opalka, San Marzano, Early Girl and Hillbilly.

Tomorrow I think I'll check on my recollection of which varieties I have left and take a photo of the best tomato on each plant. I like to keep a record of what they look like.



Blogger Autumn Belle said...

I like the first picture. Very cute.

August 09, 2009 9:59 PM

Blogger kathy said...

My gnome's job now is to tend to the tomatoes. He's doing a good job of keeping Blight spores out of my little tomato patch next to the house.

August 09, 2009 10:04 PM

Anonymous Svetla said...

congrats! toms looks great! My first Brandywine is ripe today (I am in central PA), but I am pulling them out -- LB. question - have you tried growing Supersteak? It looks great, and is the least affected by the blight in my plot, so I am thinking of trying it again next year. My other varieties are Roma, Grape, Brandywine, and Black Russian.

August 10, 2009 2:27 PM

Anonymous Dean Moen said...

Like your tomato pictures and varieties. I have grown Sungold tomatoes from a hanging pot and they taste great, many little gold sweet tasting treats.

August 25, 2011 2:22 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden