Sunday, August 09, 2009

at last - its tomato season!

gnome with tomatoes tomatoes in my hand
Copy of sungold tomatoes
tomatoes gnome and tomatoes

I have lots of Sungold cherry tomatoes now (from two plants), and a few ripe New Girl and Orange Blossoms too. Big Beef are ripening fast. The heirlooms are sizing up: Brandywine Sudduth strain, Giant Belgium, Purple Calabash, Box Car Willie, and Mortgage Lifter.

Tomato varieties I've lost to Late Blight so far are: Pink Beauty, Cherokee Purple, Opalka, San Marzano, Early Girl and Hillbilly.

Tomorrow I think I'll check on my recollection of which varieties I have left and take a photo of the best tomato on each plant. I like to keep a record of what they look like.

4 comments:

Autumn Belle said...

I like the first picture. Very cute.

kathy said...

My gnome's job now is to tend to the tomatoes. He's doing a good job of keeping Blight spores out of my little tomato patch next to the house.

Svetla said...

congrats! toms looks great! My first Brandywine is ripe today (I am in central PA), but I am pulling them out -- LB. question - have you tried growing Supersteak? It looks great, and is the least affected by the blight in my plot, so I am thinking of trying it again next year. My other varieties are Roma, Grape, Brandywine, and Black Russian.

Dean Moen said...

Like your tomato pictures and varieties. I have grown Sungold tomatoes from a hanging pot and they taste great, many little gold sweet tasting treats.