Sunday, September 07, 2014

pear harvest

PILES OF PEARS 1925 A great year for pears. I picked about 150 today. Bartletts and Kieffers. They filled my trug and I had to struggle to get the bucket into and out of the car.

I've read recently that its best to chill freshly picked pears at 30*F for 4 days or so. Then they can ripen at room temperature. Last year I didn't know this and didn't get the best ripening I am hoping chilling will help. I have lots of pear recipes marked in my canning book.

7 comments:

Janice in NY said...

Do you spray your pear trees? If so, what do you use?
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure to chill at 30*F for 4 days? Wouldn't they freeze?

Unknown said...

I love your blog and the fruits look so good.

kathy said...

I try to spray the pears with dormant oil in the spring each year just before the buds break. I missed the timing this year and they went without and did fine. I will make sure I catch the timing next year. It needs to go on just as the weather warms but before the buds open. Pears seem pretty resilient to local pathogens, unlike apple trees. Still, its good to give them this organic spray and get off to a good start. Dormant oil spray, sometimes called horticultural oil, is an organic oil that coats the branches and smothers bugs as they are hatching in the spring.

kathy said...

Yes, 30*F. I read that the sugar in the pears will prevent them from freezing at this temperature. I don't think my fridge goes this low. I turned it down and don't know if I have a thermometer to check.

edible gardens--point loma said...

Our pears used to ripen very nicely in the cellar, spread out on the cardboard trays from apple boxes arranged on the ping pong table. Perhaps the cooler temps of the cellar was helpful. Wish I could grow pears here in coastal San Diego.

clarice said...

Ohh I love pears so much, they are tasty and perfect for health :)
xo
clarice