Monday, July 28, 2014

today's harvest

Summer is outdoing herself. With all this rain and warmth, my gardens are producing so much food. harvest 9211

Today I harvested my shallots. Also, about half of my onions. I picked a row of beans. The cucumbers are producing more than I can believe, and the summer squashes are out of control. I only picked the big squashes quickly tonight, but will pick the rest tomorrow. Looks like I'll donate a big bag of squash to REACH. I put up 7 jars of pickles tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, so impressive! Love all the harvest photos, and the gorgeous bugs too. I was sorry to read about your weird curly tomatoes.

When I see your giant, lush PILES OF FOOD I have to remind myself that with the size of my plot, even when I am a lot more experienced, I'll still only get a handful of things. Maybe one salad of the world's smallest beets and a few dinner's worth of green beans...

Curious: It looks like you pick your larger tomatoes when they're still fairly green. Is that to prevent them from getting eaten by something else, or...?
--Fey

kathy said...

Yes, I pick my tomatoes once they have some red. Just my way. Mostly because I like to see them ripen on the window sill. I think the flavor is the same either way. Also, I don't get to my garden every day and don't usually know when I'll be there next. And I have seen squirrels eat tomatoes, especially when its dry and the tomatoes are ripe and sweet (can't blame them!). I just CAN'T WAIT!!

Movinalong11 said...

Would you consider sharing your pickle recipe? I have tried many different one's and I can't seem to find one that tastes just right. Thanks, kelley

Financialforager said...

Your right, it is a great time to be in the garden this time of the year! Sometimes it is hard to keep up with the amount of vegetables coming in, great harvest.