Wednesday, May 07, 2014

first harvest of a new season - rhubarb and asparagus

Well, only three tiny stalks of asparagus, but a nice bunch of rhubarb. Three fat stalks. I had lots of strawberries at home so I made a rhubarb strawberry crumble tonight. Yummy! The recipe said "preferably red rhubarb stalks". Well, the green stalked variety proliferates in our community gardens. We all share it. Today I showed a new gardener our help-yourself patch. I think the chartreuse green stalk slices look super with bright red strawberries. They certainly taste great!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How old is your asparagus bed? I will be planting asparagus next week. It's going to be soooo hard to wait until the beds are producing heavily. I don't think I've ever eaten rhubarb in my life but I may try it in the garden this year as an "experiment".

Unknown said...

Oh I am jealous! Out here in Minnesota our rhubarb is just starting to come up. The leaves are still super curly. We have had such a late spring! And there is no asparagus to be seen yet.

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Sounds lovely, we have had a bumper crop this year so far, good as I Love it! We are having friends over for dinner Saturday and I plan to make a rhubarb sauce to go with pork rather than traditional apple, plus a rhubarb tart. I will be in my element but they might be rhubarbed out!!
Marian (LondonUK)

Anonymous said...

Where is your asparagus bed planted? At the community garden plot?

Love your blog! Looking forward to watching you work your magic over the course of the summer.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I bet it is gorgeous, and it certainly sounds delicious. And what did you find to do with the three asparagus stalks? (My asparagus is a mixed plot with some on year two and some on year one--I understand I'm not supposed to cut them until they've gone through a few seasons?)

I had MY first harvest when I thinned the radishes! I do enjoy a mouthful of gritty radish sprouts... Fey