Tuesday, May 13, 2014

asparagus harvest

asparagus IMG_7896 asparagus IMG_7904 asparagus IMG_7907 I picked lots of asparagus today. It grows so fast! One day the stalks are a few inches tall - the next, a foot tall! I am picking all of the stalks now as my bed is pretty well established. I'll pick all of the stalks for another week or so, then let them grow into fronds.

I used to steam or saute my asparagus, then this past Easter, I came across a super recipe. Here it is: Emeril suggests roasting it. Yes! its super! Today, I layered on lots of garlic, some olive oil, some herbed sea salt and a bit of Parmesan cheese. I roasted at 400*F for 12 min. It was AMAZING!!! DELICIOUS. Awesome. Tender and sweet. Yummy, yummy, yummy.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love fresh asparagus and keep threatening to put in an asparagus bed but it somehow keeps getting moved to the bottom of my "to get done" list. Maybe I should just go ahead and order the crowns so I will be *forced* to create a bed for them.

Anonymous said...

They are wonderful roasted in Olive oil,garlic,cherry tomatoes then topped with Feta Cheese ….. great with a greek meal :)

Unknown said...

The asparagus looks great!

Anonymous said...

Gosh those are gorgeous! I think I'll either need to vastly expand the size of my bed (looks like yours is 6 x 4 or something) or wait 10 years or both... Fey

Anonymous said...

How old is your asparagus bed?

[mine is in its second year, so I am being patient, but your pictures have me anticipating!!}

Anonymous said...

Made this last night and we both loved it!
Janice

blueberry1946 said...

I put a dollop of olive oil in the middle of a folded double run of aluminum foil. Roll the spears in the dollop of oil. Then sprinkle with sliced fresh garlic. Wrap up as a "foil pack" and bake on the outdoor grill in an area of indirect heat. This is one of my "I'm pretty sure I could live on this" dishes.

Cloud said...

Looks delicious! Posts like these make me so eager for an asparagus patch of my own some day.