Thursday, February 09, 2012

crop list for 2012

I'm starting to make a list of what to plant this year. Time to cut back on the number of things I grow. I pack too much in and things don't do as well as they could. So here's my list:

In order of preference:
garlic
potatoes
lettuce
summer squash: zucchini and yellow patty pan
onions
soybeans*
broccoli*
beets
carrots
tomatoes*
butternut squash
sweet potatoes
parsley, cilantro, dill*
cucumbers (max 3 varieties)*
bok choy
peppers/chiles**
eggplant**
leeks
celeriac
kale*
peas*
beans*
radicchio
escarole and frisee
pumpkins: maximum 3 plants: Jarrahdale and New England Pie

sunflowers
nasturtiums
zinnias

Tomatoes: Try the new color cages (purple?) and grow them with lots of space
*does well in my slightly shady home garden
** does well in my very warm and sheltered cold frame
well maybe 4 pumpkins...

No corn,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You pretty much have my exact same list. I'm going to try potatoes with the pallet method this year and see how it goes.

Martin and Amy said...

Good idea!

I have a vision in my head of what I want to grow, but I haven't got around to writing it down yet!

Commonweeder said...

You are way ahead of me. Time to evaluate last year's seeds - and get a few started - and then see what I need to buy. time's a wastin'.

Anonymous said...

Dad says we have to cut down too. To bad!

Donald said...

Started my Tomatoes today Jaunnes Flamme, Thessaloniki, Black Prince, Silvery Fir Tree. Ordered my seed poatatoes last week, Eramos, Agria and Green Mountain, Along with Strawberrys, Peas and Cucumber that is my lineup this year. Happy Gardening Everyone. Started my Tomatoes real early going to repot once and have realy big plants to get an early crop.

Dawnie Rotten (CT) said...

I do the same thing every year. But I WANT to grow a crap-load of stuff. Therefore, I keep making my garden bigger every year; expanding more and more in Mom's back yard! lol