Saturday, May 07, 2011

garden work

I have been trying to keep up with the season. There is so much to do in the garden in the spring. I have spent a few afternoons at my plot this week - soaking up the sun and working hard.

Asparagus harvest: I picked my first asparagus ever yesterday. I couldn't believe how sweet it is! Only half of my harvest made it home. It is so sweet to nibble on! The rest was super sauteed with thyme.

Compost pile: I moved last year's pile to the other side of my garden plot to make room to expand my asparagus patch. I will divide and spread out the crowns I have. Some are a bit too close to the shade of my lilac.

Potatoes: I planted 4 varieties on Friday.

Salt hay mulch: On Monday I turned over 2 raised beds at my community plot and spread salt hay in my paths. I saw that Diane and Glenn had spread hay on their paths and it looked so nice that I thought I'd do the same. I bought a bale last fall and used it as a mulch on my garlic over the winter. Salt hay is an amazing garden mulch with no weed seeds and lasts forever. So I pulled it off my garlic and got the rest of the bale that I stored under plastic and spread it on my paths. I love it!

Peas and favas: I planted peas three weeks ago and favas last weekend. The peas are up 2 inches now. I'm watching for the fava beans.

Sowing: And then there is the seed planting. I plant a few pots every few days. The cukes and squashes are sprouting now. I love how they push themselves out of the dirt.

11 comments:

Gail said...

Just found your blog. Love seeing the community garden. Am exploring your blog. Thank you for sharing.
Gail

Hopes Handcrafts said...

Yum...asparagus...I'd love to try growing it someday.

Soilman said...

Just-cut asparagus is SO much sweeter than anything you can buy in the shops, isn't it? Almost like eating a different vegetable if you've never had fresh before....

kathy said...

I never knew that. I feel like I've made a big discovery!

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Hi, re Asparagus cut fresh and eaten that day so different from supermarket 3 day old or more. I always thought it over-rated and tasteless but having it relatively fresh my taste buds thought differently. Hope to grow some soon. Great blog as ever Kathy.

mediaOrganic said...

Let's raise a cheer for the weekend gardeners who drag their asses to work five days a week and still have the wherewithal to squeeze in a little gardening in between those oh so valuable weekends. Here, here!

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by my chore list and then I see that others are a little ahead in some crops, a little behind in others. The great thing about the blogging community is that we tout our failures as much as our successes.

http://www.media-organic.com/garden-week-in-review-5

Anonymous said...

We're new gardeners (in our 6th year) and are trying raised beds this year. We have tried transplanting cukes and squash grown from seed. I see you sowed directly in the soil. We live in zone 5, too. Please tell me more about sowing these directly in the soil vs. seedlings. I thought you had to wait until June 1 to sow these directly in soil. Thanks. Katy

Matron said...

I just adore fresh picked asparagus. One of the true gourmet treats on the allotment!

Susan Martin said...

Thank you for the recollection of salt marsh hay. It too lined my garden paths in my Ipswich garden. Your blog is in my blog roll. A pleasure to share your garden experience.

Karen Anne said...

Is there salt in salt hay?

Leslie said...

Congratulations on your asparagus. I remember my first harvest. It tasted SO much better than store bought, I thought it should have a different name.