Tuesday, April 27, 2010

woodland wildflowers

bellwort wood violet
budded trillium jack in the pulpit
wood anemones

On a drizzly and cool afternoon, Skippy and I went hunting in the woods for early spring wildflowers. We found many. I think many more than in previous years. In some areas, I just stopped and starred - amazed. The woods were blanketed with flowering natives: a mix of anemones, Solomon seal, Lily of the Valley, geraniums, foam flower, bellwort, wild roses, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, trillium, wood violets and even showy lady's slipper. Amazing. And beautiful. Several are still budded and I will have to return here to watch them open.

wildflowers

3 comments:

Dan said...

A common post today, I posted about the same thing :-) We have been touring around the country side the last few weeks exploring. Lots out that's for sure. Nice shot of the jack-in-the-pulpit.

Brandon said...

Very nice!

Garden Dreamer said...

Wood violets seem to growing everywhere this year. Also I saw some bluets for the first time this year growing amongst the daffodils. Simply Beautiful.