Sunday, July 19, 2009

my side yard vegetable garden

side yard aerial

Looks like early spring with all the sprouts and bare spots. I didn't plant much during June because of all the rain and cool weather. Plus the slugs ate what little I did plant.

But last week, I sowed lots of seeds. Bush beans, pole beans, shell beans, soybeans, peas, lettuce, escarole, broccoli, beets, collards and kale. Enough to transplant out to my community plot and fill up the spaces there too. Its all sprouting nicely now. And with the warm sunny weather we are having now, the basil is perking up too.

But the best are the tomatoes and cucumbers at the far right along the house. Tomatoes are 6 feet tall now and I'm expecting a ripe one any day now!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying the same tomato trellis at your suggestion - first time they haven't sprawled all over the place (I pinched off a few suckers, too.) My plants are a bit on the short side, but I am west of you in the Berkshires so maybe a week or so behind. Thanks for the great seed suggestions, too. Radish, peas and peapods have been great and are now going in the freezer. Fingers crossed for the tomatoes!
Betsy

kathy said...

Sounds great!

Rachel said...

just found your blog. I love the pictures and my reluctant gardener husband just walked thru the yard w/ me describing what we can pull up and add to our postage stamp garden for next year. Thanks for the inspiration!

P.S. This is my first garden (ever). I'm on the south shore...is there anything I can add this late in the season?
I have extra space.

Kelly said...

No One- there sure is! Cole crops, carrots, peas, beans, beets etc...just look for "early varieties" and you can be enjoying Fall harvests in no time. 8)

Kathy, I always enjoy your photos, you find the beauty in the details.

Kirstin said...

I'm drooling over your garden. How beautiful

Wayne Stratz said...

so much can affect the garden, but weather rules the day