Friday, July 17, 2009

my 1st cuke: a NC heirloom pickling cucumber

NC pickling cuke
sliced NC pickling cucumber 1st cuke martini

What a FANTASTIC cucumber! My first of the season and probably the best cuke I've ever tasted. Its a North Carolina Heirloom Pickling Cucumber (seed from from Sand Hill Preservation Center). They describe it as "a wonderful 2" to 3", blocky, creamy white cucumber. Makes superb dill pickles. Stay crisp when pickled." I could add: a fantastic fresh lemony flavor and incredibly crisp fresh off the vine! I can't wait for more.

Cheers to the first of the season!

10 comments:

PJ said...

Looks so wonderful and crisp. Good work!!!

Chef Phil and Malinda said...

Oh My it looks sooo cute...is there anything you WONT ad to a martini?? LOL!

Daphne said...

Oh I do envy that cucumber. I still haven't gotten my first one. It is very strange to be picking my cherry tomatoes already, but not my cucumbers.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Delish! I have been putting cucumber slices in a pitcher of water in the fridge. It's so very refreshing on a hot humid day.

J.Q. Rose said...

Mmmmm....looks delicious. Still waiting for cukes in MI.. Getting anxious...

Caroline said...

What a great variety! Are you going to pickle any (after enjoying many, many martinis, of course!)?

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

I love that you put veggies in your cocktails!

Adriana said...

I just paid over a dollar for a single cucumber. I didn't sow nearly enough. *sigh*

Jennifer Swanton Brown said...

kathy -- we are buying lemon cucs at the farmers market here in CA right now -- we're not growing our own this year (remodeling has destroyed the garden) and they never taste as good as out of your own dirt -- What's in the coctail with it? vodka? or just soda water? interesting... Jennifer in Cupertino

kathy said...

Hi Jen,

THE cocktail is a martini: to a shaker with crushed ice, add gin (or vodka) and a drop or two of dry vermouth. Shake well. Pour into frozen glass over seasonal veggies. Ahhh.