Monday, April 06, 2009

new beds, new plan

Microsoft PowerPoint - garden plan

I made up a new garden plan. Similar to my earlier plan - but a few changes.

One of the important things was to figure out where to put the asparagus bed. I think the spot on the north side next to the compost bin will work well.

My parents offered me some space in their garden. I think I'll try my popcorn there, and my winter squash. I was told that corn gets eaten in our community garden. I'd like to find out more about this. Someone told me their kernels were eaten before they were picked. I assume its a chipmunk or a bird. Since my parents have neighbors that grow delicious corn, I thought I'd give it a try up there.

The list below the diagram for my home garden are the crops I have found that do best in part sun. My home garden gets sun from noon to 4 pm.

9 comments:

Terry said...

That's sweet, Skippy has his own spot! What goes in his spot?

Terry said...

Actually, I make little pathways for my animals (dog and 2 cats) they like it a lot.

kathy said...

I think Skippy should have a spot that is sheltered from the sun and rain. I think I'll make some kind of support that I can throw a tarp over when we are there. If he doesn't have a defined spot that's his, he digs in the beds.

pion said...

Hi, about asparagus. I grow 2 dz. in one row. I can,most,using a pressure caner. My wife & I enjoy cream of asparagus soup. My experience is a 6.5 to 7.0 soil. Kathy,you don't want any weeds. It's absolutely apodictic to mulch.I use wood chips and I pour them on. Kindly remember that in caning you must use a pressure caner; not a boiling water bath. May I also call attention to pion. It's pronounced pie' on.

Anonymous said...

Here in Arkansas, raccoons and deer are the main culprits of corn snatching. Since your beautiful community garden is fenced, I'd bet it's more likely the 'coons than the deer.

I did some reading on companion planting while planning my biggest garden ever (though still relatively small on a country garden scale), I read that vining squash, cucumbers, and/or pole beans grown under/up/around corn will deter the coons. Something about them not liking to climb through the vines and big leaves. I haven't tried it myself, so I don't have a clue if it works. Sounds pretty cool though.

kathy said...

Thanks Jonelle and pion!

Taylor said...

I'm really curious to see how your popcorn goes. I'd love to grow that, but I've heard corn is difficult to grow...do you have experience with it?

kathy said...

I have no experience with growing popcorn and don't even know anyone who has any.

corrina said...

Not so too sure about popcorn, but when we lived in W. Roxbury I came home one afternoon to squirrels eating all of our corn! My father in law gardens in Minneapolis and suggests putting paper bags over the ears. I think he grow his corn near his house though, not in his community plot.
We grew corn in Acton last summer and it was one thing that the critters did not eat. They got into everything else though!!!