Monday, February 09, 2009

Sunday night pizza

pizza

I wanted to share a photo of the delicious pizza we've been making often this winter. The sauce is from my garden last summer. I threw in many different tomato varieties, some carrots, basil, onions, cooked it down and froze it. The pizza also has the last of the cayenne chiles I grew, dried and crumbled. A delicious pizza. A taste of my garden on winter weekends.

We make a fairly simple pizza. My son makes the dough in the bread machine. A simple recipe from Beard on Bread, by James Beard. Mix 2 1/2 cups white flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp active dry yeast, 1 cup warm water. Add more flour or water to give good dough consistency. That's all.

For the topping: sprinkle on lots of coarsely chopped garlic, a thin layer of pizza sauce, crumble on some cooked hamburger (ideally a nice local ground sirloin), then mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, crumbled dried chile pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.

We grilled this one outside. That was the less simple part of this dinner, since there was about 3 inches of ice to chop for access to the grill. But the flavor of the grill really makes it perfect! A couple of winter radish martinis puts it way over the top - but why not!

Skippy's vegetable recipes

12 comments:

Salix said...

Homemade Pizza - Yummy.......
I always make my dough the old fashioned way - I don't have a bread machine - kneeding with my hands.
Cooked on the BBQ is the best!!
I got a pizza stone for Christmas and it works well when it is too cold to cook outside.
Bon Appetite! -the word verification is mumble which is all you can do while enjoying the pizza and martini

Nathan said...

Looks tasty. I know what I'm making for tea now!

Chiot's Run said...

I love grilled pizza. YUM YUM. We've been using up some fire-roasted tomatoes and peppers on our pizzas.

Adriana said...

We too make our own garden pizza however mine is vegan.

http://victoryhomegarden.blogspot.com/2008/12/interdietary-bliss.html

Lovely martini's!

Kelly said...

that is one gorgeous and professional looking pizza! and the martinis look pretty yum, as well.

Nicely done!

Dan said...

yum, I have never tried grilled pizza before. I just may have to brave the cold and give your recipe a try.

I have made pizza at home a few times. I usually top it with cooked chicken breast & bacon and crushed pineapple. Last time I found a new pizza dough recipe, it made way to much and almost killed the kitchenaid, oops.

Anonymous said...

I like your style!

We planted our very first vegetable garden this year. We made our first — from our own garden &mdash meal, chicken nachos, with two bell peppers, four jalapeno peppers and some pretty ornamental peppers.

Your pizza looks better than our nachos but the garden is still young.

Your vegetable garden plot diagrams have inspired me to create my own. Of course, with just a 4'x8' raised box, it won't take me very long. Thanks for the inspiration!

—Farmer Matt

kathy said...

Salix- I used to knead dough by hand and really should do this again. It's very satisfying. One of the nicest things abut the machine is the contained area for rising at the right temp.

Dan, I'd suggest to scale the recipe according to the amount of flour. About a cup+ per pizza. My machine handles up to 4 cups flour.

Farmer Matt, Your 4x8' garden sounds great. I am SO excited to get into the dirt again soon!!!

Dan said...

I will defiantly try your dough recipe next time. The recipe I used called for 7 cups of flour, now I have like 4 dough balls in the freezer.

I used a kitchenaid with a dough hook as I don't have a bread machine, it was working pretty hard kneading that army sized recipe.

Just Jenn said...

Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful, grilled pizza somehow tastes totally different from the other kind. I love the process of seeing it come together. Kneading is something I've never done in a mixer, as I've never had one. But guess it just makes me more eager/hungry to dive in. Pizza dough is so versatile.

Abbey Wood Takeaway London said...

From picture it looks like a tasty pizza, but however i have not any idea of eating pizza at night