Thursday, November 29, 2007

escarole and garden planning

escarole 1
escarole 3 escarole 2
Its gotten to be the time of year when I'd rather not go out to the garden. Too cold. With temperatures in the 20s and snow predicted for the coming weekend, today I picked the last of my escarole. Its been a good crop.

Since I'm not gardening, it must be time for planning next year's garden. I've been looking forward to this. First I'll put together a list of what I grew this year - what did well and what did not. I need to decide what crops I want to grow again and what I want to give up on. Then I'll draw out where I'll plant what next year - diagrams of BOTH of my gardens. I'll guess that I'll have a new SUNNY plot that will be 15 x 20 ft. I usually try to wait until Jan 1 to start planning, but why wait? I think I'll start planning on Nov 30 this year. That's exciting!

2 comments:

Matron said...

Those leaves look largely un-damaged by pests. Those Winter salad leaves are one of the few things growing at the moment. I just have some leeks and parsnips for my Christmas Dinner!

kathy said...

The late veggies do tend to be free of pests. I only have parsley and kale left to eat now. The arugula is too bitter and my peas, broccoli and chard have frozen. Your Christmas dinner sounds like it will be yummy. I'm looking forward to growing parsnips next year.