Sunday, March 26, 2017

lost chicken

chickens huddled IMG_6133

I was very sad to loose one of my laying hens yesterday. I suspect it was a hawk the got her. We have a giant pair of red-tails often nearby. The chicken was my best layer, Roxy, a barred rock - the black and white one up front in the picture above. Her carcass was at the edge of the woods, half eaten. I buried it. Now I have three hens. The others are very somber. I imagine it was terrifying for them to see.

four eggs IMG_9829 chickens IMG_6730

Roxy laid big brown eggs. The one up front. I'm thinking about getting another hen or two later in the spring. We were getting 3 eggs a day, 20 a week. I think we'll only have 2 a day now - about 2 dozen a week. Normally enough for a family of three, but my son is a serious baker. Seven eggs go into his pound cake recipe that's a regular treat for us, his friends and co-workers.

Poor Roxy.

7 comments:

chris said...

that's so sad about your chicken... poor thing! hope you're able to find a fitting replacement for her! i can't believe the hawk could get into your chicken house! wow!

Anonymous said...

I guess they will have to stay in a covered pen.
Poor Roxy

kathy said...

The hawk didn't get into their pen. That's pretty well fortified. I usually let them out in the yard a couple hours a day. They love it. I hate to keep them all cooped up.

I lost another chicken two years ago, probably to a hawk.

Anonymous said...

Don't chickens lay eggs for only two years? Then what do you do with them?

kathy said...

I don't know how long they lay eggs. Two of mine just turned 3 and they're still laying fine. Most people I know with laying hens keep them even after they stop laying. The joke is that we run chicken retirement homes. Farms of course "retire" them to the soup pot, but home chickens are more like pets.

Greg said...

I'm sorry to hear about your chicken.

We're planning on getting a few chickens next year. Living in the country, I know we'll be up against similar challenges as you. Lot of hawks in the area here.

Tania López said...

Hi. What a pity for the dead chickens...Last week my hens appeared dead, the culprit seens to be a ferret. I apologize for my poor english.
Greetings from Galicia