Thursday, March 23, 2017

another amazing greenhouse

I walked through the heated greenhouse at Mass Hort, Elm Bank, in Wellesley MA. They're getting ready for spring. Trays and trays of plugs are growing. Onions, broccoli, and lots of flowers.
MMGA_plugs_trays IMG_0460 MMGA_greenhouse IMG_0458
MMGA_onion_plugs IMG_0450 MMGA broccoli IMG_0448

They have two greenhouses. The small heated one and a large unheated one. Later they will transplant the plugs into larger pots, raise them to transplant size in the large greenhouse, then plant out to their garden.

MMGA_tomatoes IMG_0455 MMGA_watermelon IMG_0473

They also have some full size tomato, watermelon, and marigold seedlings ready. I don't know what they will do with those. They'll need a larger heated or protected spot soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

finally some things are ready to prick out... things are growing slow because of cold temperatures and no sun...I potted up seedlings of 2 varieties of lettuce 2 varieties of spinach and 2 varieties of calendula into 2 inch pots... my leeks are also ready but ran out of time...other seedlings are not ready yet.....we are still having horrid weather in the north west... rain and wind all day today...rain predicted for the next week so no chance of being outside...

kathy said...

Your NW weather does not sound much different from us here in the NE. We had rain, snow, and various mixes today. Still a fair amount of snow on gardens that don't face directly south. Giant piles in parking lots.

Our forecast for next week is nice in that it will be above freezing at the lowest night temp. I can eave my winter tunnel open. But mostly it will be wet so I won't be out doing much either. I do plant to sneak out in a dry break and plant my peas.