This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Monday, July 28, 2014

today's harvest

Summer is outdoing herself. With all this rain and warmth, my gardens are producing so much food. harvest 9211

Today I harvested my shallots. Also, about half of my onions. I picked a row of beans. The cucumbers are producing more than I can believe, and the summer squashes are out of control. I only picked the big squashes quickly tonight, but will pick the rest tomorrow. Looks like I'll donate a big bag of squash to REACH. I put up 7 jars of pickles tonight.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, so impressive! Love all the harvest photos, and the gorgeous bugs too. I was sorry to read about your weird curly tomatoes.

When I see your giant, lush PILES OF FOOD I have to remind myself that with the size of my plot, even when I am a lot more experienced, I'll still only get a handful of things. Maybe one salad of the world's smallest beets and a few dinner's worth of green beans...

Curious: It looks like you pick your larger tomatoes when they're still fairly green. Is that to prevent them from getting eaten by something else, or...?
--Fey

July 29, 2014 4:51 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Yes, I pick my tomatoes once they have some red. Just my way. Mostly because I like to see them ripen on the window sill. I think the flavor is the same either way. Also, I don't get to my garden every day and don't usually know when I'll be there next. And I have seen squirrels eat tomatoes, especially when its dry and the tomatoes are ripe and sweet (can't blame them!). I just CAN'T WAIT!!

July 30, 2014 9:17 PM

 
Blogger Movinalong11 said...

Would you consider sharing your pickle recipe? I have tried many different one's and I can't seem to find one that tastes just right. Thanks, kelley

August 10, 2014 1:02 PM

 
Anonymous Financialforager said...

Your right, it is a great time to be in the garden this time of the year! Sometimes it is hard to keep up with the amount of vegetables coming in, great harvest.

August 13, 2014 5:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden