Sunday, July 20, 2014

popcorn

popcorn2 7-20-2014 My popcorn is looking good. Green and thick. My neighbor commented that she had never seen corn planted so closely. I suppose I plant everything a bit close. I think in a small bed it works because there is space at the edges. This corn is about 9 inches apart in the rows (8 or 9 plants in a 6 ft wide bed) and rows are 12 inches apart.
popcorn 7-20-2014 popcorn4 7-20-2014 No sign of tassels or ears yet. When I do get ears, I will spray their silks with spinosad (Captain Jack's Deadbug Spray) so corn ear worms don't get in it.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Your corn looks awesome. I would love to grow corn - there are just too many veggies to grow and not enough space.

OakAndQuail said...

First year growing corn; I appreciate the words regarding Captain Jack's. You've inspired me to grow popcorn next year. Cheers!