Monday, May 26, 2014

garden work today

Nothing like a beautiful Memorial Day weekend for starting a new garden! My husband and I brought at least a dozen carts full if dirt and compost to my new raised garden beds. We hauled it down the hill form our driveway. All 8 of my new beds now have at least some soil in them. One we filled, and so I planted it - dahlias tubers at the back and then 6 rows of popcorn seeds. The seed package said how to protect from racoons. Oh my. I hadn't thought of this. Yes, we have a pair that we see now and then. I guess we'll find out how long it takes of them to find my corn! Then I'll look into electric fences....

new garden 8026 new garden 8048 new garden 8049 new garden 8054 new garden 8045

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Out of curiosity how do you mow the grass between the beds in your garden? I used wood mulch paths in my fenced in veggie garden.

kathy said...

I use a string trimmer.

I have salt marsh hay on my paths at my community garden and at my old home garden I had wood mulch. I used to lay down newspaper to stop the weeds then wood mulch on top of that so it looked nice. Worked great.

But in this new garden, which went in on top of an existing lawn, I will keep the grass paths and trim with a string trimmer (weed whacker).

Unknown said...

Wow, I love how great the beds look with soil and all planted! You've also done a great job working with the slope in the landscape.

Charlie@Seattle Trekker said...

Your raised beds look amazing, you should be able to feed a really large family from that garden. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Lara said...

You have been busy...the new garden looks great!

Unknown said...

Silly question... What do you do with so much food? Are you and your family able to eat it all?

Anonymous said...

We miss you! How is your garden doing? How are "You"???
Janice

Anonymous said...

You haven't posted in quite sometime
why?

jj said...

miss your blog. hope everything is ok and your garden is just keeping you busy. :)

Dan said...

Looks great Kathy, That trailer must have saved a lot of work!