This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Thursday, August 02, 2012

volunteer squash

volunteer butternut 032 Here's the fruit on the volunteer squash plant that came up in the middle of my onion patch. Looks yummy! A big buttercup. Another one is forming now. The vine is enormous. I think I may save seeds from these vigourous squashes. (Then I can pant them where I want them next year.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Donald said...

Its been hot here in Hamilton Ont. this post makes me laugh, the two neighbours at the community plot have these. I tried to grow watermelon this year my crimson watermelon is now bigger than there squash, got one full month before frost i am praying for a couple of big watermelons. Going down there today with the video cam to film them in case anything happens to them.

August 03, 2012 11:36 AM

 
Anonymous Donald said...

Here is a link to the Watermelon Movie

August 03, 2012 6:23 PM

 
Blogger Lacquered Lunatic said...

I love volunteers! I have a volunteer tomato that has grown in full shade. I transplanted it to a sunnier spot 2 weeks ago. It's the middle of winter here and the plant is nearly a foot tall! Can't wait till it warms up and I find out what sort of tomato it is.

August 03, 2012 10:47 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Awesome! Love the watermelon movie and the winter tomato volunteer.

August 07, 2012 11:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden