This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

edamame

edamame 110 edamame 117 edamame 109
I am starting to harvest my soybeans. They are still a bit small, but really really tasty. My sister couldn't believe how good fresh edamame tastes.

Soybeans all ripen at once, so I just pull up the whole plant then pick off the beans.

I was impressed to see all the nitrogen-fixing nodules (rhizobia) on the roots.

edamame 099

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tina Marie said...

I planted these my first year gardening, before I had raised beds, and the bunnies ate them all. I should really grow them again. Where do you get your seeds?

August 17, 2012 9:37 AM

 
Anonymous Megan said...

Edamame is one of my garden favorites as well - one of the great delicacies I've had to grow every year since I first tasted them in my CSA box!

Enjoy!

August 17, 2012 10:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden