Saturday, July 21, 2012

today's harvest

Copy of 080

I am digging my potatoes from the front of the bed toward the back as we need them. I finished a row of German Butterball and started on a row of Adirondack Red today. Fun to unearth the bright magenta/pink tubers. Unlike soil-colored Butterballs, these seem to pop right out of the dirt.

As usual, a bunch of RC zucchini and Zephyr yellow squash. Very prolific varieties. I have very low production form my tow other summer squashes: Starship and Yellow Crookneck. Maybe they will produce later in the season.

And some tomatoes are starting to ripen right on schedule - July 21 is a pretty average first tomato date for me. I have a fully ripe New Girl, two almost ripe Pink beauties and some Purple Calabash starting to color-up in the garden. Of course, lots of Sun Gold cherries, which started ripening a week ago.

6 comments:

earlysnowdrop said...

Amazing colors. Great harvest. The ridged squash looks so interesting.

Anonymous said...

Your squash look great! Mine got hit with powdery mildew and are way behind. Love the red potatoes!Do you wait until all your plants die back to dig out the potatoes?

kathy said...

I start digging potatoes a couple weeks after they have finished flowering. The first ones I dig at this time are small. I only remove the plants from the hill I am digging and let all the other plants keep growing til I need them. I usually dig about one plant a week.

All my potato plants die back usually in August and then I remove all the plants. (In 2009, we had very early Late Blight and I had to cut down all my potato plants mid July.) Even after all the plants are removed, I usually dig the potatoes as needed, leaving them in the ground as long as I can.

I dig the bed thoroughly sometime in September or October and usually end up planting next year's garlic in this bed.

Judy said...

Thanks for the RC zucchini and Zephyr yellow squash, Kathy. I used them in a stir fry that my granddaughter suggested, and we both agree that they taste better than the average summer squashes.

Popcorn House said...

Great looking harvest! We are trying potatoes for the first time this year in a garbage can.

Dawn said...

awesome squash