This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Friday, December 02, 2011

brussels sprouts

I finally got my courage up to try Brussels sprouts. As a child - I DID NOT like them, but Eastern Standard (Boston MA) has a delicious recipe with bacon that I loved!! I've never grown Brussels sprouts, but this could be a good new vegetable to try next year.

Brussels sprouts and and kale are about all that's left in the gardens here now. Maybe I can get a photo to add here tomorrow.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I love them steamed with a little bit of coarse sea salt. Yumm!

December 02, 2011 10:55 PM

 
Blogger jengod said...

They're also good broiled, with a little olive oil and yes salt. I think it's superfun cutting them off the stalk!

December 03, 2011 12:23 AM

 
Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Bacon and chesnuts and brussels go well together! Makes the brussels taste wonderful. Really.

December 03, 2011 5:43 AM

 
Blogger biobabbler said...

You are brave. I have learned, finally, never to grow something we don't normally eat anyhow, no matter how noble my intentions. To be honest, though, even though I was not raised eating Brussels sprouts, I just LOVE the way the PLANT looks. Delightful!

Like an alien.

And I'd love to see my chickens react to it. =)

Looking forward to any photos you post. Your posts are always inspiring. =)

btw: and edifying. I did not know until I got the "you misspelled it" red-dot underline that it's Brussels sprouts. Thought it was brussel sprouts. Clearly, a phonetic learner. =)

December 03, 2011 11:36 AM

 
OpenID Pam Phillips said...

I too have only recently dared to attempt to replace childhood memories of flabby, overcooked frozen brussels sprouts. A quick stir-fry/steam of halved sprouts was a good start, but chestnuts and bacon sound incredible. Must try that next!

December 03, 2011 11:37 AM

 
Blogger liz said...

everything is better with bacon! my first time enjoying brussels sprouts was with bacon and fried shallots.

ive tried to grow brussels sprouts and i have had weird problems with teeny tiny bugs.. but maybe thats cos of where i bought the plants

December 03, 2011 1:42 PM

 
Anonymous Helen Jupiter, FrontYardening said...

For those who don't eat bacon: Try cooking your brussels sprouts with thinly sliced shallots and a touch of maple syrup - absolutely delicious! I recently learned that maple syrup is very nutritious, too - even better! I've planted brussels sprouts for the first time this year, too. Fingers crossed.

December 04, 2011 2:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden