This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

birds in my backyard

cardinal nest 006
cardinal egg 008 wren house 011

I have a cardinal nesting in my backyard in a climbing hydrangea vine. I noticed the nest because there was a pale blue egg with lots of brown speckles on the ground. It had a small hole in it (the size of a wren's beak) and was empty. I looked above and found the female cardinal sitting on her nest. Since I found the nest (last week), she has been faithfully sitting - so I think she has laid more eggs.

There is also a pair of wrens are in a bird house by the garden in my side yard. The female wren is spending a lot of time in the house, so I assume she has eggs or chicks even by now. The male sings to her often.

The sparrows in the back bird house had peeping chicks that I heard last week, but I think something may have happened to them (wren?). The parents are still tending house though, so either the kids are just quiet or they have a new brood on the way.

I have seen a catbird and robin in the yard often and I keep watching to see where their nests are. How many bird nests can fit in one tiny yard? I think they have nests up in the neighboring trees though and just come to my yard for water.

I did see a bluish warbler the other day in my waterfall and got a photo (below). Maybe someone can tell me what type of bird this was.

blue warbler 015

10 Comments:

Blogger . . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

How lucky you are!!!

May 31, 2011 8:39 PM

 
Blogger darkandlight said...

I think it might be a cerulean warbler. Looked similar to the picture in my audubon guide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerulean_Warbler

May 31, 2011 9:56 PM

 
Blogger Green Tamarind said...

Looks to me more like a black-throated blue warbler. There's only one white wing bar down low, and the cerulean has 2 bars.

May 31, 2011 10:17 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

The robins fledged this morning. There were two awkward chicks with spotted reddish bellies. The parents kept close tabs.

June 01, 2011 1:23 AM

 
Blogger Vanessa said...

How exciting! This year I have really been noticing the birds. We have a blue jay and cardinal that live on our street, I enjoy watching both of them often!

June 01, 2011 4:44 PM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

Def a black headed blue warbler. Nice picture of the birdhouse. Gardens and birds work well together! The only time I heard otherwise was regarding some finches who ate pea plants.

June 01, 2011 9:30 PM

 
Blogger Matron said...

How wonderful! The types of birds you get in the US are very different to ours. I look forward to following their progress.

June 02, 2011 2:00 PM

 
Blogger Karen Anne said...

I have lots of catbirds this year. You can never have too many elegant catbirds.

June 02, 2011 9:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

black-throated blue warbler

June 06, 2011 8:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I third the btb warbler!

June 15, 2011 12:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden