Thursday, July 08, 2010

irrigation in the HOT weather

irrigation

How about this heat and dry weather!! What a difference from last year. My plants seem to be deep rooted enough to go for 3-4 days without water, even though we have temps well into the 90's (F) all day. Then they need a long deep watering.

This is great for avoiding fungal problems (like last years late blight). I'm hoping for a nice tomato harvest starting soon.

I thought maybe my potatoes would be ready and pulled up a plant last Friday. Not! (I put away potato salad recipe.) There were lots of little marble sized tubers on the roots. No edible sized ones. Oh well. I'll wait.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Love the blog ! I would suggest tater tipping to check on progress and not lose the plant. Just use a spade to tip up the plant from one side and check for spuds then drop it back down again. You can even take a couple for dinner and leave the rest to get larger. Makes the wait a little easier...

Teresa/safira said...

I hope you quickly steamed all those little marbles. They're insubstantial, but delicious. Got a lot of those floating around with the big guys at the end of last season.

Irrigation Systems said...

Nice blog. Yous should try to have drip irrigation system to even nurture your crops more efficiently.