This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

cheers to cucumber season!

cucumber martini 031

My first cukes are in. Yippy! I love to make cucumber martinis. Of course, they're nice in salads too. My earliest varieties are blocky white North Carolina pickling cucumbers and Burpee's Sweet Success.

This year I am growing my cucumbers (and melons) on trellises in my cold frame (with covers removed). I have an automatic sprinkler set up to give them 10 minutes of water every evening. They seem to like this.

cucumbers 029 cucumbers 030

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Stevie from GardenTherapy.ca said...

I could go for one of those martinis!

July 14, 2010 11:33 AM

 
Blogger Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Looks delicious! I love cucumber water too. It's refreshing and supposed to be a good diuretic. BTW - I have Firefox and your blog is still loading strangely. I get the white screen and it won't load. The only way I can get it to load is click the back button.

July 15, 2010 12:22 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Thanks. I made more changes. Cleaned up some of my random code and deleted more stuff. Is it loading any better now?

July 15, 2010 7:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,

It is still loading well for me in firefox. I have to click the stop button asap before it goes blank.

July 15, 2010 9:48 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Is that 'loading well'?

July 15, 2010 10:32 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

I just posted to Blogger help here about this. Maybe someone will help.

July 15, 2010 10:38 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

here is a better thread of a similar problem. I will keep deleting widgets.

Somebody please tell me its fixed soon!!

July 15, 2010 10:43 AM

 
Anonymous Aaron said...

My cucumbers have been growing like crazy this year. We've already harvested at least a dozen from only three plants. My wife just made six jars of pickles today. I can't wait until they are ready to try. :)

July 15, 2010 6:40 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Oh yes - I forgot about pickles. I bought a great little pickle book at the end of the season last year.Quick Pickles by Chris Schleshinger I'll have to check this out.

July 15, 2010 7:36 PM

 
Blogger Rachael said...

Are you having any trouble w cucumber beetles? I seem to be loaded w them and last year they ruined my whole crop of cucs. What can i do to get rid of them???

July 15, 2010 10:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol. I meant to say "not loading well".

Today it is loading very well.

thanks.

July 16, 2010 1:07 PM

 
Blogger Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Its loading normally now for me too. So looks like you fixed it. :)

July 16, 2010 7:32 PM

 
Anonymous Getty said...

Kathy, I am most intrigued. Can't wait for our own cucumber martinis - and salad too.

July 17, 2010 8:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden