Sunday, May 23, 2010

kale and squash risotto

dinner 4

I planted a enormous crop of kale this year and a couple weeks ago asked for recipe suggestions. I tried the kale risotto from the Moosewood Cookbook and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks for the recommendation.

I used my last homegrown butternut squash from last year and a few spring onions that I pulled today. (I'm not really sure where the onions came from - probably ones I missed year that over-wintered and grew into large scallions-like onions this spring. They were very pungent and a bit dry, more like garlic or shallots.) And I used a big bunch of kale from my cold frame. As my mom said, I think this cold frame kale is more tender and mild than "outdoor" kale.

Its a very good recipe. The link is here: Moosewood Squash and Kale Risotto

dinner 3 dinner 2

5 comments:

Carys of the 13 and a half cats said...

those look like they might be stray leeks rather than onions; looks like they have flat leaves instead of rounded ones.

boy oh boy does that risotto look good!

carys

Crittergetter said...

I love the vivid coloring of the dish!! It looks very good - I'm saving and printing the link
Thanks!

kathy said...

I bet you are right - they look like leeks. Maybe seeded from a nearby plot. Maybe next year I'll plant some myself.

Carys of the 13 and a half cats said...

ooh, volunteers leeks! they really are pretty good at seeding themselves; i thought i had soem onion volunteers in 3 different spots, and every spot is really leeks *g*

carys

ps my verification word is anttanner. that would be some ITTY BITTY leather!

kathy said...

What does that ps mean? I don't understand. and what is *g*?